Saturday, October 6, 2007

Proud to be an Imuseño


Last night, October 6, 2007, I received an award as Outstanding Imuseño (Gen. Juan S. Castañeda Award) in the field of Arts together with a host of others in various fields by the Imus Municipal Tourism Council. I was hesitant at first to accept such an award because I felt that I have not accomplished much. I think the major reason was I caught their attention when I won third place in DeviantArt.com's Show Me Your Hometown Photo Contest last month. I even wrote an entry here about my actual experience in going through the preparation for the contest.

I actually drew attention of the world's artists and photographers to my hometown. The impressions and queries about Imus, made me feel fortunate to have been raised and born here. Also among the awardees is Christian Tamondong, my former student in high school who has made a name in visual arts and who I am so proud of. When I learned that he is in the list, I guess, I thought, its high time that I receive one. Another good reason, I thought, would have been that three of today's Imus municipal councilors were my former students- Jem Yulo-Guinto, Jenalyn Topacio, and Onie Cantimbuhan ( please check out the picture; I'm so proud of these guys!). And the happier I was when I learned that Dr. Corazon Ocampo, one of my former college paper advisers, will receive the award Adopted Daughter of Imus together with Senator Chiz Escudero as Adopted Son of Imus.

It was indeed a proud moment for many of us Imuseños. I personally feel that with such an award, it will make me more inspired to work for the common good as I work harder in my chosen field. I hope the rest of the recipients of the Gawad Parangal which is held annually to celebrate the founding anniversary of Imus, share the same sentiments. This year, Imus is celebrating its 232nd anniversary. Thanks to the screening committee consisting of Dr. Dante Papa, Obie Castañeda, Dr. Arlene Abella-Saunar, Emoy Francisco and Miong Aguinaldo for the recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment